Cormac Flynn, Gráinne O’Sullivan and Paul Dunbar have set up this site, which helps lapsed Irish Catholics who want nothing more to do with the Church, leave it. The site makes use of existing Church apparatus for defection. Its underlying aim, it says, is to prevent the Catholic Church using ‘member’ numbers as a wedge in negotiations over its role in education and healthcare. The site is a sober-minded rational approach to a practical matter and the creators say it is intended for people who have already made up their minds, not those ready to leave in a fit of pique. In the first ten days of the site 1300 people have already defected. The site has links to media coverage, which has been considerable in the first week. In one Cormac holds his own against a bullying Tom McGurk and a rambling, condescending John Waters, who misses the point of the site entirely.
Latest posts by Seanachie (see all)
- Olivier Roy – This is not an Islamic revolution - February 15, 2011
- Religioscope: Tunisia: the advent of liberal Islamism – an interview with Rashid Al-Ghannouchi - January 31, 2011
- Cosmopolitan citizenship in the Middle East | openDemocracy - July 28, 2010
- Endgame – Haaretz Daily Newspaper | Israel News - July 16, 2010
- CIA Man Retracts Claim on Waterboarding | Foreign Policy - January 28, 2010