On the 17th of June last Professor Kathleen Lynch, Professor of Equality Studies at the School of Social Justice at UCD, gave the 2010 TASC Annual Lecture at the Royal Irish Academy. It was called From a Neo-Liberal to an Egalitarian State: Imagining a different Future and it provides not only an excellent analysis of the current political, social and cultural situation in Ireland, which everyone with a left-wing point of view should read, it also develops an alternative. In the current crisis ‘fairness’ is a term that is being used with increasing regularity by Irish politicians, although what ‘fairness’ means is never defined. In contrast to the liberal understanding of egalitarianism, ‘equality of opportunity’, Professor Lynch shows how Ireland could become a genuinely egalitarian society by changing the structurally-generated inequalities and developing an ‘equality of condition’.
Latest posts by Irish Left Review (see all)
- Understanding European Movements: New Social Movements, Global Justice Struggles, Anti-Austerity Protest - May 22, 2013
- Progressive Film Club Fundraiser with Ken Loach - May 21, 2013
- No2CrokePark2: Public Rally, Liberty Hall, Sat 25th of May @2pm - May 21, 2013
- New LookLeft out now! - May 20, 2013
- Left MEPs to debate austerity and abortion rights in Dublin - May 15, 2013