There is however, a deep issue at stake if defence of decent European social standards is to be placed at the heart of policy making and not to become an increasingly powerless lobby at the margins of the debate. For that to happen the European Union must surely break with an almost exclusive emphasis on GDP as the be all and end all of economic policy objectives. The time has come to replace GDP with a far wider, more socially and environmentally responsible measure of economic progress.
Latest posts by Tombuktu (see all)
- Pareto at Melos | Cosma Shalizi - September 13, 2012
- The G192 report | Robert H Wade - August 15, 2012
- Can Europe’s Mainstream Left Reconnect with Socialism and Economic Democracy? | Nyegosh Dube - July 17, 2012
- Mark Ames | The Quiet Extermination Of Labor Rights From Human Rights - June 25, 2012
- Chris Dillow | Marx was right - March 20, 2012