Not necessarily among the best of the web for its insight or fresh analysis, but simply because of who it is that has broken ranks on the austerity consensus.
The Greek EU commissioner has mounted a stern attack on the austerity policies demanded by her own institution in a remarkable break with the dominant consensus both within the EU executive and its governments.
Maria Damanaki, the commissioner for maritime affairs, publicly distanced herself from European Commission policies that she says could lead to “social degradation” and called for an “alternative economic policy agenda”.
Latest posts by Tombuktu (see all)
- Pareto at Melos | Cosma Shalizi - September 13, 2012
- The G192 report | Robert H Wade - August 15, 2012
- Can Europe’s Mainstream Left Reconnect with Socialism and Economic Democracy? | Nyegosh Dube - July 17, 2012
- Mark Ames | The Quiet Extermination Of Labor Rights From Human Rights - June 25, 2012
- Chris Dillow | Marx was right - March 20, 2012