On November 13th 2011, economists from the University of Massachusetts Amherst issued an open statement pledging support to the Occupy Wall Street movement. Since then about 300 economists have added their names. Below is the statement of support and the alphabetized list of economists who have signed it.
We are economists who oppose ideological cleansing in the economics profession. Equally we oppose political cleansing in the vital debate over the causes and consequences of our current economic crisis.
We oppose cynical and perverse attempts to misuse our police officers and public servants to expel advocates of the public good from our public spaces.
We extend our support to the vision of building an economy that works for the people, for the planet, and for the future, and we declare our solidarity with the Occupiers who are exercising our democratic right to demand economic and social justice.
Among the signatories: Stephen Kinsella / University of Limerick
Here’s a video
Latest posts by Tombuktu (see all)
- Pareto at Melos | Cosma Shalizi - September 13, 2012
- The G192 report | Robert H Wade - August 15, 2012
- Can Europe’s Mainstream Left Reconnect with Socialism and Economic Democracy? | Nyegosh Dube - July 17, 2012
- Mark Ames | The Quiet Extermination Of Labor Rights From Human Rights - June 25, 2012
- Chris Dillow | Marx was right - March 20, 2012