Statement from Repudiate the Debt Campaign
Once again the Government is handing over public money, this time €1.25 billion, to pay off the bond-holders of Anglo-Irish Bank. This callous, odious and unjust debt is taking a heavy toll on the Irish people.
This odious debt imposed on our people by the EU and ECB is simply costing the lives of the sick and of children.
There is no other solution than the complete repudiation of this debt. No tinkering with promissory notes or the like will address the simple fact that this is not the people’s debt, and it is not their responsibility to pay it through massive transfers of wealth from our country and our people, with a callous “austerity” programme and cuts in health, education, and social welfare, all just to save the German and French banks.
Repudiation of this debt is they only way to stop the savage attacks and the heavy price tags forced on our people. The governments strategy of no bondholder left behind is killing our people.
Latest posts by Irish Left Review (see all)
- DDCI calls on New Government to Strictly Regulate Vulture Fund Acquisitions - May 4, 2016
- Historic Screening of Mise Éire and Saoirse - March 10, 2016
- Book Launch: Margaretta D’Arcy’s Memoir, Ireland’s Guantanamo Granny - February 11, 2016
- LookLeft 23 is Out Now! - December 10, 2015
- The Portuguese election: quicksand in the center, an emboldened left and a desperate president - October 27, 2015