From the Venezuela Ireland Network
As part of the Latin America Week there is an event in the Mansion House tomorrow to mark the 10th anniversary of the defeat of the US backed coup in Venezuela.
When: 14th April 2012
Where: Mansion House, Dawson St, Dublin
Time: 10am til 1pm
In conjunction with LASC (Latin American Solidarity Centre) and also to mark the beginning of Latin America Week the Venezuela Ireland Network are proud to welcome to Ireland Dr Francisco Dominguez who is a senior lecturer at Middlesex University, where he is head of the Centre for Brazilian and Latin American Studies. He is also secretary of the Venezuela Solidarity Campaign in the UK. Francisco came to Britain in 1979 as a Chilean political refuge. Since his arrival in England he has been active on Latin American issues, about which he has written and published extensively.
Francisco will talk about and assess the developments in Venezuela in the years since the coup. He has also agreed to a Question and Answer session afterwards.
In the afternoon the Progressive Film Club will show as part of six film programme at The New Theatre, 43 East Essex St. D2 two films with a Latin American flavour.
- 1:50pm – The Irish Coffee Brigade (1988) – Thirty-five young Irish men and women spent six weeks in Nicaragua picking coffee and learning at first hand about the country and its problems. In this film Radharc chronicled the fun, the hardship, the boredom, and the excitement.
- 4:05pm – The Exemplary Revolution (1980) – This remarkable film traces events in Nicaragua and describes how the aggressive Somoza regime was finally overthrown in a revolution that had strong support from many Catholic Church personnel.
The full programme starts at 1pm. Details available from film site:
Latest posts by Irish Left Review (see all)
- DDCI calls on New Government to Strictly Regulate Vulture Fund Acquisitions - May 4, 2016
- Historic Screening of Mise Éire and Saoirse - March 10, 2016
- Book Launch: Margaretta D’Arcy’s Memoir, Ireland’s Guantanamo Granny - February 11, 2016
- LookLeft 23 is Out Now! - December 10, 2015
- The Portuguese election: quicksand in the center, an emboldened left and a desperate president - October 27, 2015