5 Wednesdays in May 2012, a series of public lectures on radical social movements in Ireland, is being given at 6:30 pm in Ireland Institute 27 Pearse Street, Dublin 2 each Wednesday in May.
The first two lectures by Patrick Bresnihan on hedge schools and Fin Dwyer on the land league respectively, are available on the DCTV’s 5Wednesdays page, and eventually all of the lectures will be archived there.
This Wednesday, the 16th, Dr. Emmet O’Connor will give a talk on syndicalism.
On Wednesday 23rd Conor Kostick will speak on soviets.
The final talk, on Wednesday 30th of May will be given by Mary Cullen who will discuss the first wave feminism.
The sessions are chaired by Professor Helena Sheehan.
See below an embedded version of Fin Dwyer’s lecture.
Fin Dwyer gives the second of the 5 Wednesdays talks. He looks at the Land League which, from 1879 to 1882 spurred on by An Gorta Beag in 1879 sounded the death knell for landlordism.
Latest posts by Irish Left Review (see all)
- A Mayday Message: Brendan Ogle - May 1, 2015
- Progressive Film Club: Next Screening 23rd May, New Theatre - May 1, 2015
- Conference Convened by R2W Unions: Build an Active, Democratic, Principled Left - April 29, 2015
- Cuban Film Festival 2015 – Pearse Centre – 25th- 26th of April - April 23, 2015
- Demonstrate in Solidarity with Venezuela. Sunday 19th April 2015 - April 16, 2015