The Communist Party of Ireland expresses its solidarity with TDs who operate under the banner of the United Left Alliance and to all members and supporters of the ULA at this time. We understand full well the nature of the attacks being carried out by the anti-working-class, anti- union Independent News and Media, by other sections of the mass media, and by sections of the political establishment. Our party has been on the receiving end of such attacks for more than ninety years.
These attacks and attempts to undermine left forces should serve to remind everyone that there is no such thing as “free” or “independent” national media, nor are Dáil Éireann and its truncated structures immune from or above class struggle. The attacks now under way against sections of the ULA must be seen as attacks on all the left, just as anti-communism and its use as a political weapon by either the left or the right is an attack on all the left.
The attacks on the ULA are just part of the continuous offensive against working people and should serve as a salutary reminder, if that is needed, and a warming that every action is monitored and every misdemeanour will be used to corral all expressions of opposition into the narrow rut that the establishment has constructed in relation to what is democratic and what is acceptable and unacceptable behaviour.
Latest posts by Communist Party of Ireland (see all)
- The May Issue of Socialist Voice is Out Now - May 17, 2013
- Margaret Thatcher’s Death is No Loss to the Greater Part of Humanity - April 9, 2013
- April Edition of the Socialist Voice is Out Now - April 9, 2013
- The March issue of Socialist Voice is out now. - March 13, 2013
- Condolences and Solidarity with the Family of Comandante Hugo Chávez - March 7, 2013