Two very interesting Thinking Allowed recent episodes/podcasts on employment (in the media particularly), internships, class and social capital.
Jobs for the Boys?’ Laurie Taylor talks to Professor Irena Grugulis about her contention that working class people don’t get job opportunities in the UK TV and film industry because they don’t have the right accents, clothes, backgrounds or friends. The media expert, Sir Peter Bazalgette and Professor of Sociology, Mike Savage, respond to this research and explore nepotism, networking and discrimination in the media world and beyond.
In the second episode, Irena Grugulis, author of Jobs for the Boys returns to the programme to discuss the concept of ‘social capital’.
Latest posts by Donagh (see all)
- Obama’s America – Our Struggle: An Interview with Remi Kanazi - November 20, 2013
- Replace Your Computer With A Tablet - July 18, 2013
- Gambling Tax Law Issues - October 18, 2012
- The policy of transferring incomes to capital and the rich - September 6, 2012
- ILR Will Not Blink While Facing Down the Jaws of Excessive CPU Usage - September 6, 2012