Statement from the Communist Party of Ireland
The general secretary of the CPI, Eugene McCartan, responded to the release of the McAleese Report into the Magdalen laundries by saying:
“This report confirms what many people knew already: that the state was jointly involved with the Church in this horrific abuse and exploitation of the daughters mainly of the poor families of this country.
“The mentality that pervaded the Magdalen institutions is similar to that of those who controlled the industrial schools. The report exposes their total contempt for the poor; and that contempt still dominates the thinking of the political establishment towards working people.
“The report confirms James Connolly’s prediction that the partitioning of Ireland and the creation of two flawed states would lead to a ‘carnival of reaction’. Hundreds of thousands of our fellow-citizens were driven out of this state, since its very foundation, by a combination of mass unemployment, mass poverty, political persecution, and the stifling grip of a reactionary political establishment in alliance with the Catholic Church.
“The Free State government and the political establishment for decades used the Catholic Church as a battering-ram against working people and the rural poor, to enforce their submission physically and ideologically and as part of their anti-radical agenda since the founding of this deeply flawed state.
“The survivors of these savage exploitative institutions must be given the maximum support and compensation from the state. It is is the least that can be done.”
Latest posts by Irish Left Review (see all)
- March & Rally – Stop Israel’s slaughter in Gaza! - July 18, 2014
- Emergency Protest & Rally: Stop Israel’s slaughter in Palestine! Sat 12th July 2pm @The Spire O’Connell St - July 11, 2014
- Unite Seminar: Ireland needs a pay rise: Wage floors and economic recovery - July 1, 2014
- In Depth: What’s Really Happening In Venezuela - June 26, 2014
- Housing Action Ireland Manifesto Launch: 12th of June, @6pm, Teachers’ Club Parnell Sq - June 9, 2014