LookLeft Forum: Realising a Left Alternative
2pm, Saturday March 2nd at the Teacher’s Club
LookLeft Magazine are pleased to invite you to the launch of our new issue, featuring a discussion on the topic of Realising a Left Alternative: Complementary Visions of Social Change. This discussion will be lead by Erik Olin Wright, the distinguished American Marxist scholar and author of books such as Envisioning Real Utopias, Gender Equality, Class Counts.
I will contrast three broad strategic visions that have characterized the history of anti-capitalist social and political struggles: A ruptural vision, that imagines transcending capitalism through a fairly abrupt seizure of power that creates a disjuncture in the fundamental institutions and social structures of a society; an interstitial vision, that proposes building emancipatory alternatives inside of the existing society in whatever spaces make this possible; and a symbiotic vision, that imagines using the existing state as a way of solving problems in the functioning of capitalism in ways that also expand the scope of popular power. I will argue that these should be seen as complementary, not mutually exclusive.
Erik will also be speaking on other topics at numerous events across the country, including ‘Alternatives for Transformation’, a collaborative workshop in NUI Maynooth on March 9th. A full Irish Lecture Tour Itinerary is available here.
Latest posts by Irish Left Review (see all)
- Grassroots Gathering 2015 - March 31, 2015
- ICTU Youth, USI and IFUT statement in support of University of Amsterdam occupation - March 19, 2015
- What would Europe Win from a Grexit? ‘Peace and quiet. (Pause…) For a period’ - March 18, 2015
- Progressive Film Club & Ireland-Palestine Solidarity Campaign - March 12, 2015
- International Women’s Day Celebration - March 2, 2015