The following are the upcoming showings this saturday, but check out the full program for February, March and April here.
Saturday 23rd February: Urban Finance and Suburban Sustainability
The New Theatre • 43 East Essex St Temple Bar • Dublin 2
2pm: The End of Suburbia: Oil Depletion and the Collapse of the American Dream (2004)
As the suburban population exploded in these years, the suburban way of life become embedded in the American consciousness: it became part of the American Dream. But as we entered the 21st century, serious questions began to emerge about the sustainability of this way of life.
- Directed by Gregory Greene.
3.30pm: Secret City (2012)
Irish Premiere: London and the City of London are not the same. London is a metropolis of 8 million people; the City of London is a square mile its centre, with 7,000 residents. With a Corporation older than Parliament, it has played a central role in protecting and promoting the interests of finance capital.
The Corporation of London wields power over British economic policy, sustaining London’s position at the hub of global finance capital, not least through control of the majority of the world’s tax havens.
This film exposes the Corporation’s anti-democratic constitution and the ancient laws that allow it to function as a state within a state, promoting an illusory promise of economic growth at the cost of the real economy.
- Written by Lee Salter; directed by Michael Chanan.
For more details click progressivefilmclub.ie or contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Latest posts by Irish Left Review (see all)
- The Portuguese election: quicksand in the center, an emboldened left and a desperate president - October 27, 2015
- Progressive Film Club Screenings: Sat 24th Oct - October 8, 2015
- LookLeft 22 in Shops Now! - August 17, 2015
- Progressive Film Club: Palfest & “5 Broken Cameras” - July 2, 2015
- Progressive Film Club: Autumn Sun and Ciutat Morta - June 23, 2015