His academic background is in the history of philosophy, and his writings pursue insights from that tradition within the context of contemporary education problems. His essays have appeared in the Monthly Review magazine, and he has just released an excellent new book, called, ‘The Falling Rate of Learning and the Neoliberal Endgame’, which looks at how the educational world is being affected by Marx’s law of the falling rate of profit.
We discuss many of the themes of the book, including: determinism vs free will, base vs superstructure, the ‘Ye Deluder Satan’ Act, student debt and neo-feudalism, radical youth movements, and the utility of a stoic pessimism.
You can buy his book here.
And you can find the monthly review here.
Latest posts by Tom O'Brien (see all)
- From Alpha to Omega Podcast #068 Knowing The Future - April 16, 2016
- From Alpha to Omega Podcast #062: Closet Marxists - May 8, 2015
- From Alpha to Omega Podcast #061: The Calculation Problem - April 2, 2015
- From Alpha to Omega Podcast: #060 Zero, Nada, Zilch - February 16, 2015
- From Alpha to Omega Podcast #059: Test Those Theories - January 29, 2015