This week our guest is Conor McCabe. Conor is a Research Fellow in the School of Social Justice in University College Dublin, and has just released the second edition of his book, ‘Sins of the Father: Tracing the Decisions That Shaped the Irish Economy’.
The book is a brilliant class analysis of the Irish economy since the origins of the state, and seeks to give a deep systemic structural analysis to the causes of the crisis, and to help explain why things panned out the way they did.
We discuss the Garden Cities of Ebenezer Howard, Irish economic policy and the British Empire, the rise of land speculation in Ireland, an extravagantly pointless Irish hotel, NAMA – the worlds largest property company, which owns all the worthless toxic commercial property in Ireland. Amongst other things…
You can find Conor’s book here. (It’s well worth the read…)
Happy New Year!
Latest posts by Tom O'Brien (see all)
- From Alpha 2 Omega Podcast #53: What’s Next? Part II - September 1, 2014
- From Alpha to Omega Podcast #052: What’s Next? - August 18, 2014
- From Alpha to Omega Podcast #051: Cry Me A Volume - July 28, 2014
- From Alpha to Omega Podcast #050: The Matrix - June 30, 2014
- From Alpha to Omega Podcast: #048 Whither Underconsumptionism? - March 31, 2014