The February issue of Socialist Voice is now available online.
- No recovery for working people [TMK]
- Pete Seeger: His songs go marching on [TR]
- A Greek Obama [NL]
- It’s about more than losing that “Bonny Bunch of Roses” [TMK]
- Lessons of history: The 1966 seamen’s strike [NOM]
- The euro and the balance of payments [KC]
- Whose revolution? [DOC]
- A “must read” book with a disappointing conclusion [FK]
- Opinion: Creating a shared future [RMC]
- Union news
- Who’s afraid of Liam O’Flaherty?
- Films: 15th Latin American Film Festival
- Is it just me, or has the world gone mad? [EON]
No recovery for working people
Has the time arrived for unrestrained rejoicing? Have those mighty men and women of the coalition rescued us from economic and social calamity? Can we trust indicators that are supposedly pointing to recovery?
The Taoiseach gravely tells us we have exited the bail-out; hip hip hooray! Michael Noonan welcomes a report that the Republic’s government is no longer suffering under the lash of the Moody Blues, as our bond status has been upgraded from junk to investment level by the influential credit rating agency; more hip hooraying.
Nor do the celebrations end there. Frank Daly, chairperson of NAMA, has boasted that the Irish property crash has ended; so hats in the air as well as hip hip hooraying.
However, before we decide to put gilded images of Enda and Eamon on top of the Dublin Spire, let us enter a few words of caution. Eye-catching headlines about recovery are often misleading. A slight decline in the total rate of unemployment is heralded as proof of upturn but overlooks the reduction in the real value of incomes. The finding of the Irish League of Credit Unions that monthly disposable income increased by €50 in December 2013 masks its other discovery, that 1.6 million people had €100 or less left at the end of the month once all bills were paid, while half a million have nothing at all left after meeting their commitments…………….
Latest posts by Communist Party of Ireland (see all)
- August Socialist Voice is Now Available Online - August 21, 2014
- Public Meeting: The Inter-Imperialist War, 1914 – 1918: Not a Noble Cause - July 23, 2014
- The July Issue of the Socialist Voice Out Now - July 8, 2014
- June Issue of Socialist Voice Out Now! - June 4, 2014
- James Connolly Memorial Lecture, 2014, Sat 10th of May, Liberty Hall - May 7, 2014